Saturday, December 13, 2008

Night and day: Scorpions 4, Killer Bees 2

I didn't get a chance to catch Friday's game, but the box and the boards told me all I needed to know. I watched most of Saturday night's game on the CHL Network, and I think it's safe to say that the fans in Hidalgo, Texas know how the Star Center faithful felt last weekend. Oh what a difference a night can make...

Observations
  • I would give the edge to RGV in 5-on-5 play tonight, but the Scorpions finally managed to win the special teams battle and -- go figure -- they won the game. The puck movement on the powerplay looked far crisper than it had been the past three games. It seems to me that the PP unit just has to work on getting into the zone and getting set up. Congrats to Michael Beynon on his first professional goal, as well. That was an absolute bomb, and it came on a play that I really liked from last season, which was that shortside one-timer from behind the goal line. I'd like to see that play a lot more on the man advantage
  • Great bounce-back game from Andrew Martin after getting shelled in Laredo on Wednesday. The win was Marty's first in his last six appearances. He was his usually active self in the crease, but he was stopping the shots he had to stop and, more notably, making a few saves he had no business making, too. Hopefully he and the rest of the Scorpions can carry that momentum in Tuesday's day game against Amarillo
  • A pair of very nice goals in this game. That setup from Robin Bouchard to Jesse Bennefield was absolutely gorgeous -- great vision by the veteran to basically corral the puck along the boards the puck and fire it to the slot in one quick motion. Seth Leonard's first goal, on the other hand, was one of those goals that can only leave you laughing. This guy is a serious hockey player, folks
Elsewhere:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The game in Amarillo was an interesting one, although I am glad at the outcome I felt horrid for poor Gorman he was clearly in agony, and he played till he could play no more and when he was pulled in the start of the 3rd he could barely step up onto the ice and what did he get from his fans..... BOOOOOOOO's.... You can't help but feel bad for him.

As far as their new goal AJ he looked ok made some good saves.

Alex Mansfield said...

Like I said...every game is not going to be 7-1 or 8-2, but Mike Gorman deserves better fate than to get completely shelled like he has. There's something to be said for dignity

Anonymous said...

And what of the new goalie going to Odessa, Interesting to see how they fare with both of their goalies on IR. I think the team in front is good enough to let any goalie get some "W"'s

QueenJester said...

Alex, continued great job on the Blog...I love seeing it and getting some other views of the games. Lets hope the Scorps can continue with a great work ethic. I'm doing my best to cheer them from afar...

Btw, how bout them Avs? I just watched the game...

Miss ya!