Monday, December 22, 2008

Eagles 2, Scorpions 1 (OT) ... ?


Sorry for the delay... holiday travels plans got in the way of blogging about this, far and away this season's most noteworthy game -- for several reasons. Obviously the big talk is the end-of-game controversy, and we'll touch on that later. What I will say, however, is that this was one of the best hockey games I have ever been to and, regardless of the outcome, it deserved a decisive finish. These guys don't battle for 60-plus minutes to watch the game end with a conference. This makes a pretty compelling argument for video review.

Observations:
  • This was the most complete performance top-to-bottom the Scorpions put together this season. I know a lot of people won't be too pleased by the 0-for-7 powerplay line, but a 7-for-7 PK line is exponentially more important against the league's top powerplay. Aaron MacInnis and Jamie Herrington were the big reasons for that number, as they anchored the penalty kill with incredible veteran poise. I have those two marked as my two most consistent performers this season. As for the Scorpions' defense as a whole, they were great about getting in the passing lanes and denying the Eagles those quick bang-bang passing plays they burn so many people with. When the Eagles did manage to cycle the zone, which they are so efficient at doing, the Scorps again did well to limit it to just puck possession and not allow the Eagles to generate quality chances
  • A nice goal by Ed McGrane, but the attention once against has to focus on Justin Greene. Mitch Stephens had the puck and skating out of the zone when either Reimann or Pankewicz took his feet out from under him. McGrane scooped up the loose puck, dangled around for a bit and scored about 10 seconds later. There are two situations as a ref where, by definition, you almost HAVE to call a penalty -- one is when a player is denied a clear scoring chance, and the other is an infraction that directly creates a scoring chance for the infracting team. A trip that keeps the puck in the offensive zone should constitute the latter...
  • In the games where the Scorpions have played team defense in front of him, Jason Wolfe has been MVP-worthy this season. If he gets confidence early in a game, he's almost unbeatable. There was a series of post-to-post saves he made early on that was worthy of any highlight reel. The man they howl for deserved better fate
  • Even though he was held off the scoresheet, Seth Leonard once again had his dancing shoes on against his former team. He was creating chances every time he touched the puck and was clearly one of the Scorpions' best players out there.
  • Speaking of Leonard, I thought the game was in the bag when he set up Robertson on that breakaway late in the 3rd. I'll admit, I was surprised and a bit puzzled that a shoot-first guy like Robo opted to throw a deke at Andrew Penner. He made a nice move and had Penner going the wrong way, but he just couldn't settle the puck down on the late-period ice
  • Ok -- now for "the call." First, let me say that I am in no place to say definitively whether the puck went in. I was seated at the opposite end of the arena at ice level, so I actually don't think I could have had a worse perspective. However, here is what I did see -- first, I saw Jared Ottenhof give an immediate washout signal, which is pretty hard to mistake for anything else given his 20-foot wingspan. Next, I only saw one Eagles player react on the play. Now, this could just be coaching -- "never stop until the whistle blows" -- but three of the four guys in the attacking zone began to follow the play the other way before Greene blew play dead. Hockey players know a goal when they see one, and I'm not too confident that those guys saw a goal. There is plenty more discussion to be had, but those are the two things I could CLEARLY see from my point-of-view. I don't know how great the angle would be from the camera platforms, nor do I know if the cameras can provide quality evidence one way or the other, but I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping the league takes a look at the tape anyhow
  • Lastly, happy holidays to all. If travel is in your plans, make it safe. If you're staying put where you are, enjoy yourself. If you're at the SASC this weekend, cheer loud and let me hear it via CHLTV!

No comments: