Saturday, October 18, 2008

Scorpions 6, Gorillas 0

Randy Murphy definitely found a way to iron out the wrinkles from the Scorpions' opening night performance, and this was the result. A very complete performance by the Scorpions but, more notably, a very opportunistic one. Six goals on 17 shots is the kind of efficiency any coach would dream of.


Observations:
  • First and foremost, my hat's off to Jason Wolfe. That was a hell of a goaltending performance that should forever endear him to those pessimists out there who doubted the Scorpions' goaltending situation. When that 6'5" frame is in position, it's going to be tough for anyone to put pucks by him. It's just an added bonus when he sees the puck like he did tonight
  • Torren "Chipper" Delforte is fast becoming Mr. Special Teams. Another powerplay goal tonight to go along with the team's first shorty of the year -- from a guy who came on board only a few days before final roster cuts. Between Delforte, Neil Trimm and John Mazzei, the Scorpions could have a few formidable candidates for rookie of the year. I'll try to get a Q & A with Torren up later this week
  • I really like the energy from Mike MacDonald. I thought he was arguably Odessa's quickest player last season and he's a great guy to put on a checking line with the likes of Sam Bowles, Kyle McCullough etc.

Elsewhere:

  • How can a 12-3 massacre at the hands of Corpus not lead things off? I'm not even going to try on this one. See Rajan
  • I bet Rocky Mountain can't wait to get back to Broomfield. I definitely didn't see Tracy Egeland's squad returning home with a minus-11 goal differential to open the season. As for the Bees, the 7 goals in their season-opener were more than they scored in any game last season
  • Odessa joins NM atop the Southwest Division with a 3-1 victory in Arizona
  • The second coming of Konrad Reeder begins in Colorado. One goal on seven shots, 2 PIMS and, as I understand it, a signature backbender in his first game back

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where you at the game?

We didn't see you there.

Alex Mansfield said...

No I just watched via CHLTV and took some notes from Adam. When school slows down, I might make the trek to a few away games

Anonymous said...

Are you getting paid to do this blog?

Alex Mansfield said...

No I am not. I really enjoy covering this stuff and getting involved and my hope is that some day I might get paid to do something like this. A little practice never hurts though