Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Makes you think...

A tragic and rather fluke incident raises a lot of pertinent questions about the place fighting has in the sport of hockey. The practice is obviously a mainstay in the game and has been for years -- as Bill Clement said, more people go to hockey games for the fighting than stay away because of it -- but this really makes you think twice about the merits of "legalizing" fighting. I'm sure most of you remember this incident a couple of seasons ago from a scrap between Kevin Harvey and Rio Grande Valley's Dale Butland. That was as shaken up as anyone ever saw Harvs, and as evidenced in the story above, things could have been a lot worse. Thoughts?

1 comment:

QueenJester said...

I don't like the fights to happen, but I have to admit I think it puts a bit of life into a game and is enjoyed by many fans.
Do I think there is a risk in the sport when pertaining to fights? Yes, but a person needs to take responsibility for their actions in participating in a sport and the ensuing activities involved in that sport. I accept full responsibilities for the injuries my body ensued from ten years of competitive gymnastics, and I would do it again despite the arthritis and sore joints I have now.
As for the cheap shot on Harvey when he was already down, I think Dale Butland sincerely lacks any qualities that would make him a respectable fighter. While I do not personally know the "code" that pertains to dropping the gloves in hockey, I would have to imagine that Butlands actions went against it.